Sunday, June 27, 2010

World Cup Love - Vive l'Allemagne!


Yes, it has been a long time in the waiting, but Germany is due it's space in World Cup Love. Not only must I honor my strong German lineage (much love to Grandma Hazel Zoerner Baughman's sauerkraut and springerle anise cookies), but also my father's exceptional design taste in filling our house as children with wonderful functional, child-friendly architectural pieces, i.e., furniture.

These cantilevered chrome chairs by storied German architect and designer Ludwig Mies van der Rohe were first exhibited in 1927. They have been in our family since before I was born, and are now proudly sitting tall in my house. There was a playfulness to the bounce that the cantilever creates, and the woven cane made them alive to me as a child. Now, in profile, there is a certain perfection to the arc of their design. So simple, so fluid, a wonderful blend of the hard and soft, cool and warm. Vive l'Allemagne!!

No comments:

Post a Comment